Woman dies, another hospitalized after Legionnaires’ diagnosis after staying at NH resort


One person died and another was hospitalized after contracting Legionnaires’ disease while staying at a New Hampshire resort and spa, according to Fox 23.

Health officials in New Hampshire stated Friday that they were looking into two cases of the disease linked to the Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa in Whitefield. The establishment is a 1,700-acre premium 19th-century alpine resort.

According to local accounts, the two victims are both older adults from out of state who were not staying at the resort together. Barbara Kruschwitz, 71, of Massachusetts, died of Legionnaires’ disease on October 10, her husband informed WCVB. He stated that his wife swam in the resort’s pool and utilized the hot tub.

The victim in the hospital is from Rhode Island and has not been identified. It is unknown what the victim’s current state is.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Legionnaires’ disease is a deadly kind of pneumonia (lung infection) caused by Legionella bacteria.

Symptoms such as coughing, shortness of breath, fever, muscle pains, and headaches typically appear two to 14 days after being infected with the bacteria, although it can take longer. Diarrhea, nausea, and confusion are some of the other symptoms.

Woman dies, another hospitalized after Legionnaires' diagnosis after staying at NH resort

According to the New Hampshire Department of Human Health and Services (NH DHHS), human illness is primarily acquired through inhalation of contaminated water aerosols.

“Most Legionella infections are sporadic; however, outbreaks can occur and are often associated with exposure to contaminated communal water supplies in large facilities such as hospitals, hotels, or apartment buildings.”

Legionella bacteria are naturally present in freshwater habitats such as lakes and streams, according to the CDC. When bacteria thrive and spread in human-made building water systems, such as showerheads and sink faucets, cooling towers, hot tubs, and complicated plumbing systems, they can pose a health risk.

The New Hampshire Department of Health and Human Services did not confirm whether the resort was the cause of the disease in the two victims.

Woman dies, another hospitalized after Legionnaires' diagnosis after staying at NH resort

“Mountain View Grand Resort & Spa is fiercely committed to the well-being of all those who walk through the door,” the hotel said in a Facebook statement.

“The state confirmed they cannot be certain where these individuals contracted their infection, and we are working closely with the New Hampshire Division of Public Health Services and New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services to determine if the two individuals were affected as a result of visiting the property in the fall of 2023.”

“We are continuing to follow our stringent and consistent protocols to ensure the utmost health and safety of our guests and employees while we await test results recently conducted to confirm the potential source.”

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.