Walker County Sheriff’s Deputies arrested seven persons Sunday evening after they responded to a complaint of cockfighting at 473 Hurtt Road, Chickamauga, Georgia, according to Walker County Sheriff Steve Wilson.
Upon arrival, deputies saw the suspects gathered in an open faced shed. Inside the shed was a cage with two roosters fighting.
When deputies announced themselves, the suspects fled the scene. Eventually, all of the suspects were apprehended and arrested.
Deputies found one rooster with spurs on its feet. The spurs are commonly found on roosters that are used in fighting, Sheriff Wilson said. Deputies also found eleven chickens dead.
Around the fighting cage, multiple spurs were found on the ground. Also, multiple alcoholic beverage containers were scattered about the property, according to the Sheriff.
Walker County animal control was called to the scene and took possession of the fowl.
Arrested and charged with Aggravated Cruelty to Animals, Obstruction of an Officer and Loitering/Prowling were:
1) Shane Lamar Dempsey, age 37, of Chickamauga, GA
2) Michael Shane Frye, age 46, of Lafayette, GA
3) David Brian Long, age 37, of Rossville, GA
4) Christian Lea Nicole Clingan, age 22, of Chickamauga, GA
5) Richard Carter Lusk, age 48, of Chickamauga, GA
6) Robert Edward Clingan, age 50, of Chickamauga, GA
7) Kevin Wayne Smith, age 42, of Chickamauga, GA
Additionally, Cody Dewayne Smith, age 30, of Trenton, GA was inside the residence at 473 Hurtt Road. Smith was found to be wanted on a felony warrant from Hamilton County, TN. Smith was arrested on a fugitive charge and transported to the Walker County Jail.